Wednesday 12 December 2007

3D Chair Project


Re-designed the chair and made a foot stool, some cushions and a mug.

Some parts of the training so far have not sunk in yet, but when I finally got to play around on Maya I did really enjoy the programme. It is fantastic to see something from all perspectives as a real model would allow you to do. I think I would be able to learn this 3D stuff quite well but for all the other stuff that has to be learnt at the same time. I tend to like to spend time learning one thing at a time, so I will have to work out what is important to me long term.

Had a few problems getting to grips with the lighting and needed to refer to Jame's notes, and the camera angles need some time spent getting use to them.

But overall, fascinating stuff!
In answer to your questions Andy, I designed the chair around the original because I just wanted to use the same template, bit cowardly I hear you thinking! but I always design within the time parameters I have available to me, and making the footstool to match along with the other bits gave me some more experience. How this process differs from what I am use to is strange because I know I am not going to make this product and have to perfect it in real space and materials, I also don't have to cost it. But the main difference is that you do not use hand to eye co-ordination in the same way and you do not handle the various materials I am used to experiencing, and of course no tools.

1 comment:

Andy Wyatt said...

What was the inspiration for the design of your chair and how did you find the design through to modeling process? How did it differ to what you are used to?