Wednesday 19 November 2008

Soundscape and Editing

I didn't find these projects difficult as such, I just don't think in terms of sound.

My soundscape wasn't very good I think, I did the editing and recording at home. . .but my computer processor is quite loud, which isn't a problem went dealing with images. And the speakers are just the internal ones on the computer, so I found listening to the finished piece at home was completely different from hearing it on speakers in the studio.
Suddenly all the breaks in the music and joins of the sound effects really stuck out like a sore thumb! Oh well. . .didn't think I had done great anyway!!

But it did point out exactly how important good speakers are, or at least equivalent speakers to where you are going to play the track.

Some of the soundscapes were great, Adam's and Jacob's, imparticularly really brought images to mind which matched their intentions.

Conlusion : don' mind editing sound from already recorded pieces, that can be fun if you have sufficient time to get into it. . .but the whole recording foley effects and dealing with trying to evoke atmosphere (which I agree is so important) is just not a skill I have. I find I just don't really know where to start. . .

No comments: